Comprehensive Plan Information
The Village Plan Commission reviewed a draft on January 4, 2010, and on January 8, 2010, adopted Resolution Plan 2010-01 to recommend adoption of the final draft plan by the Village Board. The Village Board held a public hearing for the plan on February 9, 2010, and adopted Ordinance Number 2010-04 to approve the final version of the plan on February 23, 2010.
The 2035 Comprehensive Planning process has been an opportunity to engage residents in thinking critically about Fox Point's future. The resultant effort is a collaboration between Village residents, Village Staff, elected officials, and the consultant team. The plan will bring about enhancements that benefit the entire community and ensure long-term viability. Throughout the process, the Village has identified a vision for Fox Point in its Comprehensive Plan in order to guide future decisions. Through early 2010, the Village has provided opportunities for residents and property owners to imagine how the Village should look through the year 2035.
As part of the planning process, the Village of Fox Point held 2 Community Listening Workshops. The 1st Community Listening Workshop was held on Monday, November 16, 2009, and the 2nd was held on Monday, December 14, 2009. Public input from the sessions provided valuable guidance in the development of the final plan.
In addition to a statewide mandate requiring the adoption of Comprehensive Plans, a well-developed Comprehensive Plan is a tool for citizens and elected officials to guide the future growth of their community. As a guiding document, a Comprehensive Plan maintains the flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the community. A Comprehensive Plan, detailing the anticipated future of the Village, is perhaps the most important implementation tool for increasing the quality of life for everyone within the community.
What is a "Smart Growth" Plan?
The Village Comprehensive Plan was prepared in compliance with Wisconsin's Comprehensive Planning Law, Wisconsin Statutes. §66.1001. This law is commonly known as the "Smart Growth" Legislation. The Smart Growth legislation provides a framework for developing comprehensive plans, procedures for adopting such plans, and requires that any program or action of a community that affects land use must be consistent with the community's Comprehensive Plan. The Comprehensive Planning Legislation requires the planning process to detail 9 elements:
- Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Cultural Resources
- Economic Development
- Intergovernmental Cooperation
- Issues and Opportunities
- Land Use
- Utilities and Community Facilities
All land use decisions within the Village must be consistent with the goals, objectives and policies outlined in the adopted Comprehensive Plan. For more information regarding requirements of Wisconsin's "Smart Growth" Legislation, please visit the Wisconsin Department of Administration.
Amending the Plan
The plan should be reviewed periodically and amended on an as-needed basis. Suggestions for amendments may be brought forward by Village staff, elected officials, or residents and should be consistent with the Plan vision.
- Comprehensive Plan Table of Contents (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 1 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 2 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 3 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 4 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 5 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 6 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 7 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 8 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 9 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Chapter 10 (PDF)
- Ordinance 2010-04 to Adopt a Comprehensive Plan for the Village of Fox Point (PDF)
- Resolution 2009-28 Resolution Establishing Public Participation Procedures (PDF)
- Resolution Plan 2010-01 Resolution to Recommend Adoption of a Comprehensive Plan (PDF)